Welcome to Reception
Welcome to Reception at Kestrel Way. Throughout the year we will update our class pages to share information, useful links, newsletters, and photographs of our learning and experiences which we hope you will find useful.
PE days are on a Tuesday and Thursday for Wrens and Wednesday and Thursday for Wagtails. Initially, children will have PE in their register groups. How we teach PE may depend on current government guidance.
All children will need their own named water bottle. These are kept in trays in the classrooms so they can access them as and when they need to.
- We will continue our focus on the number 1 but begin to introduce another 1 so 2. We will be learning to recognise the numeral, match the appropriate number of objects and looking at different ways to make the same number.
- We will be introducing Helicopter Stories. What is Helicopter Stories? ... In its simplest form, Helicopter Stories lets children dictate their stories which are written down verbatim, exactly as they are told, by an EYFS or Key Stage 1 practitioner. The children then gather around a taped out stage and the stories are acted out.
Communication and Language:
- We will be focusing on speaking clearly to our ‘talk partners’ in full sentences.
- Talking about feelings and emotions
- Developing fine motor skills through - manipulating tools, using tweezers and Lego
- Developing gross motor skills through outside play using bats and balls, the climbing frame and large building blocks. Also through ‘copy me’ activities in the classroom.
Personal, Social, and Emotional Development:
- Following the Greenleas Promise, thinking about and following our school rules and classroom rules
- Playing cooperatively and learning how to wait for a turn
Understanding the World:
- Investigating the Autumn season
- Looking at fossils and shells and sharing what we have observed
Creative activities may include:
- Dinosaur skeleton pictures with pasta
- Autumnal Art